Monday, 30 November 2009

A summer's garden to brighten up another dull day

I really enjoyed making this one - again, like the last quilt it is a raw edge applique one, all done on the machine. I bought the pattern from here but take a look at the website of the lady that actually designed the pattern as I find it really fresh and inspirational.
I did have a few 'how long is this going to take' moments as I was cutting out all the flowers but it was definitely worth it in the end.
As always, you can click on the images to make them larger.

Sunday, 8 November 2009

This is the Story Book Farm quilt from McKenna Ryan. I purchased the kit here.
When the kit arrived, each piece of fabric had a fabric number and name on it but it didn't make it clear which block it belonged to!
Tip: On McKenna's website there is a section that you can print off which cross-references each piece of fabric to each applique piece in each block.
The close-up image is supposed to show the washing line in more detail so you can see that the quilt on it was made separately but I've just noticed that the 'shirt' has come loose from the line so apologies for that!
It was all machine pieced, raw edge appliqued and machine quilted. As I didn't want the applique stitch to be noticeable, I used monofilament thread for both the applique and the quilting. Half-way through quilting it, the thread started snapping,. Despite going through every conceivable 'maybe it's this' I convinced myself the only solution was to buy a better sewing machine! Drastic I know, but it worked and I quilted the rest of the quilt without any problems.
Please note: Wellington boots poking out of the bottom right-hand side are not part of the quilt ;-)
Again, for a more detailed look,please click on the images to make them larger.
01 09 10